Travis County ESD No.9/ Westlake Fire Department is no longer accepting applications for the position of Firefighter/ EMT. Please review the information below regarding the candidate application process with important deadlines, benefits and compensation, and department information. Information for the Fall 2021 application process will be included below.
- The Mission of the Westlake Fire Department is to preserve life and property by providing community risk reduction and emergency response that exceeds the expectations of our community.
- The Department provides all hazards response service to an approximately 15 square mile response area including the City of Rollingwood, City of West Lake Hills, and areas of Western Travis County. ESD 9 is part of the Regional Automatic Aid Agreement and responds to any incidents it is assigned as the closest emergency unit.
- The Department operates 2 Rescue Engine Companies and a Battalion Chief from two Fire Stations with the intent to staff a full time Squad in the first quarter of 2022.
- The Department responds to over 2,000 incidents per year
Firefighter Hiring Process Information:
Submit Application by November 19, 2021 December 3, 2021. (application acceptance extension) Pass a Written Exam on December 11, 2021 – All applicants are eligible for testing. An email was sent to applicants on 12/2/2021 with written exam directions. A map to the Chap Room is here and a photo of the entrance is here. Check in will begin at 8:30 a.m.– Written Exam Scores are available. Please click HERE for exam scores. Pass a Physical Ability Test on December 18, 2021 – Time for the Physical Ability Test are Listed HERE. Please monitor your email for updates on any weather related updates! Candidates that pass the Written Exam and Physical Ability Test will be invited to an oral interview panel – Oral interview panel has been set for January 27, 2022. Candidates have been emailed times and location. Top candidates will be invited to a Fire Chief Interview – Tentatively scheduled for February 2, 2022. Additional information to follow. After a conditional job offer is made candidates will complete and pass a: NFPA 1582 Medical Evaluation with drug screen NFPA 1582 Occupational Fitness Evaluation Background Check
- Preferred Qualifications that receive additional points in the process:
- Part Time Firefighters serving more than one year – 2 points
- Previous Firefighters who were previously employed that left in good standing within two years – 2 points
- Military Points – Candidates who served in the United States Armed Forces for a minimum of two years with a DD-214 evaluation – 2 points
- Advanced Medical Certification:
- EMT-Intermediate, Advanced EMT, or Paramedic – 2 points
- Cleared to Practice by a Travis County Medical Director Partner (DCPE, OMD, ESDs) – 1 point